8 Books that I read while in treatment that had special meaning to me:
1. "When Bad Things Happen To Good People" ( Given to me by Sarah, my friend who heard the news with me... )
by Rabbi Harold Kushner
Rarely does a book come along that tackles a perennially difficult human issue with such clarity and intelligence. Harold Kushner, a Jewish rabbi facing his own child's fatal illness, deftly guides us through the inadequacies of the traditional answers to the problem of evil, then provides a uniquely practical and compassionate answer that has appealed to millions of readers across all religious creeds. Remarkable for its intensely relevant real-life examples and its fluid prose, this book cannot go unread by anyone who has ever been troubled by the question, "Why me?"
2. "Phenomenal Woman" by Maya Angelou is a phenomenal poem that speaks to us of where we are as women at the dawn of a new century. In a clear voice, Maya Angelou vividly reminds us of our towering strength and beauty. Here is a poem that radiates wisdom and conviction, renewing our belief in the glory and tender mercies of our gender. By Maya Angelou
My Friend Erin read it aloud while many friends of mine were shaving my head. It could have been a scary sad moment.. but It wasn't .
3. "It is not about the Bike" By Lance Armstrong
Of course I had to read this.. and it gave me a glimpse of what was to come as I read it in the very beginning of treatmnet.
4. "Cancer Vixen "by Marisa Marchetto
I had read it before but reading it gave me Extra Super powers.
5. "EAT.. PRAY..LOVE" by Elizabeth Gilbert
During a particular hard time, this book managed to make my mind travel to 3 fabulous lands and forget where I was ( at the hospital)
6. "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Houssini
Much like # 5, reading about Afghanistan (albeit during some horrific times to the woman there) I was able to take my mind off cancer .
7. "Budapest" by Chico Buarque
I had never managed to finish this book but enjoyed it and reading in Portuguese was particular special.
8. "A long way gone" by Ishmael Beah
So many tears but it gave me so many emotions .
Hope you all have a great week..