Woman, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend... Just when I thought life could not get any better I heard a knock on my door, it was Cancer.
It changed everything but not for the worse. I choose Life and Hope .
BACK OFF CANCER is what I say!

The beginning of this journey...shaving my head

The beginning of this journey...shaving my head
Me, Francesca, on April 1st 2007, the day I shaved my head....

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I need another title for the book...

Two weeks ago I was talking to my friend Stacey Gee and I told her that if everything went well and according to plan that the name of my book would be Backing Off Cancer in 90 days!

Well .. I need another title. Carsten and I met with Dr Goy and after reviewing my latest PET/CT scans he suggested that I have 4 ( yes... FOUR!!!!) more cycles of chemo... There are many reasons for that and to many medical terms that I am not so familiar and would not have a clue on how to spell them for me to explain this better but in short is that the mass has continued to decrease but in a much slower pace and that radiation at first was an option but due to the fact that A) mass to close to heart and B) the cancer had originally already travelled to at least one more place ( pancreas) that the chemo might be the best treatment to really kill all that is left.

I learnt recently that in the CW ( cancer world) there are to many :mights, probably, most likely and very few: for sure, certain, etc. The truth is that they are learning as they go...

Needless to say I was very disappointed... maybe I was being over optimistic but I really thought the appointment was more like... a "wrapping up"... I was wrong... With Chemos come so much other shit ... like injections , fatigue , steroids, ... But I will not let this small bump in the road discourage me ... I may have to postpone a few things... my hair will take a little longer to grow... but I still see the finish line and a beautiful life after cancer.

much love to all
xoxo

8 comments:

I Speak The Truth said...

The title still works! We'll just adjust the time frame. "Telling Cancer to Back Off in 5 Months or Less"

Taking longer will actually leave room for more chapters - which means BIGGER ROYALTY CHECKS - WOOHOO!!

I suggest a supplement chapter to discuss the joys to telling other people "what is keeping you up at night"

neila said...

Amore Mio,

Logo, logo, tudo isso vai passar.

Tenho Fè!

Bj

Neila

Chiara said...

Minha irma querida,
Estou com muitas saudades de vc e assim que der vou te ver ai em NJ ou na Suiça.Penso em vc todo o tempo e tenho certeza que muito em breve vc vai ficar bem boa!
bjs
Chiara e Cia

Unknown said...

Dear Francesca,
You are so strong - you will get through these 4 cycles of chemos too! I know my old friend Carsten and I am sure that he will give you all the force you need and even I did only meet little Leonardo in your belly I guess he is encouraging you a lot too.
We are with you in our minds, far away in France, and looking forward to see you all in our paradise at Les Arcs sur Argens!
Big kiss to you all
Sabine

Vampdaddy said...

My son has 4 more cycles left...While we know there won't be more than that, there can always be delays -- so we're getting excited about the approach of "the end" but trying to be realistic that the date isn't cast in stone. Just keep the head down and keep moving...

Unknown said...

Francesca-

I don't know if you remember my husband Dennis Lento who is also a patient of Dr. Goy. If I remember correctly, you know Beth who is a friend of Dennis' sister. You and your husband had reached out to him when you first started this journey and we have been following your blog since. I know that this news was very disappointing to you and Carsten. We know from experience how difficult and trying (both physically and emotionally) the chemo treatment you are undergoing is on you both. Just remember, you are stronger than you think...you CAN do this!! Its a long walk through the tunnel before you reach the light. But if you take a strong step forward each minute of every day you will get there.

Dennis and I will continue to keep you in our daily thoughts and prayers.

Debbie Lento

PS. It took a while but Dennis' hair is growing back...it when from curly salt and pepper to straight and ALL GREY!! So don't be too eager for that hair to grow back ;)

Unknown said...

For�a! amiga!

Carsten Giessmann said...

This is an update for all you people who keep us going with your positive thoughts, prayers, flowers and letters.
Francesca had to go to the hospital Monday and only came back yesterday. She is not feeling too well, but she is strong and will continue fighting.
We don't want to get out of the routine and she will get her last general chemo in Monday. Today her wonderful Doctor Goy told me that he has a special treat for her. No more spinal chemo, but 2 more chemos that will require her to be in the hospital for 5 days each.
We may see the finish line, but it like in a marathon the laswt 6 miles are the hardest of the race.
I hope Francesca will write an update soon, give her some time, please.
Thanks
Carsten